I love wool! Yes I know that may sound crazy but I do. My sister calls me a yarn snob and we laugh. It’s because once I had knit with natural fibres, it’s hard to go back to acrylic. P.s. I do think acrylic has its place and I do choose it for projects. So after opening our Etsy shop this week (yeah!) I have been thinking about if people will love the wool sweaters I made as much as I do. I’ve heard the whispers when I’ve mentioned I knit baby sweaters with wool. I know it’s not for some people because ease of care is at the top of their list, but I believe you can have both!
So I thought I would do a little post of my favourite features of wool!
1. Soft – yes, wool is soft. Merino wool fibres are extremely fine, which makes them able to bend more than traditional coarser wool fibres. So this makes the wool feel soft and luxurious against your skin. Also I love the way it feel when I’m knitting.
2. Elastic – the natural elasticity helps your clothes stretch with you, but also to return to their original shape.
3. Warm AND Cool – is this possible? Why yes! (Are you starting to see why I love wool?) It reacts to changes in your body temperature. So you stay warm in cold weather and cool when it’s hot.
4. Breathable – Merino wool can absorb large quantities of moisture vapour then move it away to evaporate into the air.
5. Machine Washable – yes, I said it. Superwash wool means you can machine wash and tumble dry!
There’s more! Wool is Static resistant, Stain resistant, Anti-wrinkle, Odour resistant, Fire resistant and Uv resistant!
After doing a bit of reading for this post it showed me how intricate the fibre is,
as this illustration shows:
So there it is! Why I LOVE wool❤️
What’s your favourite material to knit with?